Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jeremiah Learns to Read


For my next post I think I'm going to get a little more in touch with my soft side. Im usually drawn to cute, funny books with cartoon characters but I found "Jeremiah Learns to Read" at a thrift store and just had to have it for my collection. It is written by Jo Ellen Bogart and illustrated by both Laura Fernandez and Rick Jacobson. 

This book is a classic example of the mannerism "you can not judge a book by its cover". My initial thought was that this book is about a young boy learning to read but it turns out the story follows an elderly man who wishes to fill that missing void of not knowing how to read. He has many impressive skills, such as building a table from a tree and making sweet syrup but this isn't enough. He decides to attend the local school to learn how to read and the children welcome him with open arms. 

The illustrations are beautiful and life-like, done with oil on canvas. The painting have soft lines and warm colours. I like how the seasons change throughout the book to depict the time passing by. It starts with a winter scene, progressing into spring and summer, then the fall. It is at this time he decides to attend school. The text is large and is set against a contrasting background making it easy to read. 

This book makes me think about how easy it is to assume that everyone just knows how to read. Many children will assume all adults know how to read but this book shows a different side to literacy. It gives students the opportunity learn about the differences a few generations can make.  It also shows a valuable lesson of expectance and not passing judgement. In the end Jeremiah teaches the children valuable skills for life while they help him learn to read. 

I have a soft spot for stories like these. My grandparents basically raised me so I am familiar with the patience and love the elderly have for children. This book is enjoyable for both adults and children and it's a great way to celebrate reading. 







No comments:

Post a Comment