Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Giving Tree

I am a firm believer in the idea that everything happens for a reason. I don't usually seek to find meaning but in certain cases something happening by chance or by means of luck just seems unlikely. When we are faced with undesirable circumstances we learn to let things go, we can see the bigger picture and we can gain an appreciation of the great things we have in life.

This past weekend I was faced with the reality of death. My grandmother suddenly passed fell ill and passed away. As with the passing of any family member, I found myself reflecting on the times we had together. The strongest memory I have of her is actually a personality trait she possessed. My grandma was the most giving person I have ever met. She would give you everything she had to see you happy. She went about her life in the most unselfish way and was doing it for herself, not to impress others. She is one of the few people who felt the joy of giving. During her wake I spoke to many people whose lives were touched by her. They all had stories of how she would give them money or clothes and say things like "now don't tell anyone" just to make them feel special.

So where does all this tie together? Well, on my first day back to classes I arrived early so I decided to sit at a table in the CMC. There was one empty table left and it just happened to have a book on it called "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. As I turned the pages I realized this book was there for a reason. It fit so perfectly with everything I had been going though and actually gave me a sense of closure. Much like my grandmother the tree found true happiness in giving and even when there was next to nothing left to the tree she wanted to give whatever she could. A few days before grandma became sick my father went to visit her and take her out for lunch. He told me they went to a small cafe and had some soup and tea. Grandma accidentally knocked over her tea and dad said she looked really concerned and worried. He told her it was okay and it was just an accident. What she said next was a true reflection of her character. She said "Oh dear, someone made that for me and I went and knocked it on the floor". She was more concerned about the fact that someone had taken the time to make the tea then having to buy a new one or not having something to drink.

I think "The Giving Tree" will forever remind me of my grandma. No matter how long the time or the distance between us she would never be resentful.

Everything happens for a reason...

Grandma, Me and Aunt Margie

No comments:

Post a Comment