Friday, March 18, 2011

Silent Music: A Story of Baghdad

Yet another great find at my local second hand store! I found "Silent Music" by James Rumford during one of my monthly trips to the Value Village to find books. It just comes to show not all the books they have are old and out dated considering this book was only published a few years ago (2008). The first thing that drew me to the book was the rusty orange colours and  intricate pattens on the cover. I then read the title and knew immediately this would be a great book to have in today's diverse classroom.

The story is about Ali, a young boy who lives in Baghdad. His interests are soccer, dancing and loud music which are all very relatable to many children. He does have one hobby, though, that is different from what most students would know. It is called calligraphy and it is the ancient art of drawing letters. Ali's love of calligraphy provides him with peace in times of war. The author highlights the true power of literacy as a creative outlet in moments of anguish and unrest.  This is a message that can be taken from this book for children and adults alike.

Rich pattens and colours

The elaborate pattens and backdrops of sandy browns and earthy tones flow from page to page proving an abundance of support to the text. The illustrations are rich with cultural meaning which could aid in a deeper understanding of unknown concepts surrounding Iraq. I was particularly moved when Ali speaks about how the war has impacted his life. Very few words are needed to understand the uncomfortable situations he has to deal with. I really liked to metaphor regarding the words "HARB" meaning war and "SALAM" meaning peace. Ali says the word HARB just glides easily from his hand but the word SALAM resists him with its difficult waves and slanted staff. This is often true in our culture. Many times war is an easier approach to conflict then working to find peace.

Overall I throughly enjoyed this book. I read it many times to revisit the excellent illustrations and sophisticated metaphors. I think this book will be an exceptional resource for my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment